Sunday, April 27, 2014

Clusterfunk Collective presents Take Five: DJ Platurn [Interview]



Founder of the Oakland Faders, father of The 45 Sessions and international man of mystery DJ Platurn stands at the forefront of vinyl culture, preserving the prestige of the medium that gave birth to it all. He recently checked in with us to give a glimpse into his global view, an idea of a new "Ingredient" he has in the works, and his plan for what's next.

"Take Five" to tap into the talent beyond the surface.

1.) Illugi, Luke, Platurn - are there alter egos attached to each name? If so, which is your favorite, and why?

There's less than 10 Illugis on the planet. 'Return Of The Jedi' was the first movie I saw in American theatres. Platurn means "plate turner", the literal translation for DJ in Icelandic. I have different colored capes for each one.

2.) To know you is to know you have strong views on global events, injustice and a strong connection to the community around you. What is your opinion on using your talent to express your beliefs? How do you balance how much you share without pissing people off? Do you even care if people are pissed as long as it sparks conversation and critical thinking?

I like to think that i'm tactful in expressing my frustration with the world. Anger is a useless emotion that carries you but a few feet. I love music and I love the art of DJing. I come from a long line of leaders that I respect in such a way that I feel like their message should be preserved -- I embrace the now, but the now wouldn't be shit if it wasn't for the years that led up to it. I think the ugliest aspects of technology are ignoring and quickly forgetting what it took to get here. Music is the most spiritual expression of humanity -- it shouldn't be fucked with or disrespected, only revered and used to do good for the world. That, in so many words, is all I aim to preserve and represent with my short time on this planet. I do care, but I scoff at useless debate. It's not a pissing contest -- i'm here to preserve and respect what I know to be the best of Hip-Hop & DJ culture.

3.) Given the success of "The Main Ingredient", would you and your wife, Michele (chef/owner, Astellar Production), consider a similar series to highlight your collective creativity?

Yes. There is a cookbook in the works, the most unique of its kind. More to come when the time is right ;) ;)

4.) In January, you threw down an amazing set at Boiler Room SF. We couldn't help but wonder what the Icelandic gentleman was saying in the intro. Why did you choose that snippet to start your set?

It's a skit from an old kids record that I grew up on. He says, 'Well my little children, now you get to see something weird", and then some additional jibber jabber after that. It's a long time favorite from my Icelandic kids records collection.

5.) Congratulations on the 4th Anniversary of the The 45 Sessions. Where do you think The 45 Sessions will be in the next four years? Or, what do you see it evolving into?

Hard to say. I never imagined it would be where it is today, and it's turned into this self-evolving thing that tends to re-invent itself on a regular basis. I can tell you right now that we're trying out some new things this year, and you'll just have to keep your eyes and ears peeled to find out what that is. The Sessions is a fan supported/donation based event -- it will be around for as long as people want it there.

FOLLOW @platurn
LIKE DJ Platurn on Facebook
VISIT djplaturn.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's my boy. Poignant questions from the Clusterfunk Collective. Well done.

e.z.

Post a Comment