Sunday, November 17, 2013

Clusterfunk Collective presents Take Five: Harn Solo [Interview]

 photo takefive005_harnsolo_500_zps056ffa18.png

We hone in on Harn's hustle - talking local talent versus legends, bringing the gap between the Bay and La, and his plan for what's next.

"Take Five" to tap into the talent beyond the surface.

1.) Explain the name Harn Solo.

The "Harn" part of my name refers to my real last name - Harney. I than added the "Solo" part as a play on words with the Star Wars character.

Solo is also referred to as a term of individuality. I'm well connected with the hip-hop culture in the Southcoast, so its not about being a loner or anything like that. It's really about letting loose with your creative freedom regardless of what others artists follow.

2.) When did you move to New Orleans, and what effect did the transition have on craft and, ultimately, your career?

I moved to New Orleans from California about four years ago. I also spent time in Arizona and Colorado before moving to the Crescent City. New Orleans is the first place I've lived in the South, so it was a definitely a culture shock when I first arrived.

I immediately noticed there was a lot of talent in New Orleans within the world of arts. Not only rappers, but also talented singers, producers, videographers and DJs. Some of my most notable collaborations are with Nola artists Prospek, Dappa, Suave, Lyrikill, Lyriqs da Lyraciss and Caliobzvr.

I feel like my music has improved after being around the people of New Orleans. The city also taught me how to hustle and run. There's opportunity out there, but you have to work hard to get it.


3.) New Orleans and the Bay Area quite obviously share similar (Southern) roots. In you opinion, what is the most prevalent element of artistry between the two regions?

In my opinion the Bay Area and New Orleans hip-hop cultures are both very colorful. Some of my favorite Nor Cal rappers are the Hieroglyphics and E-40. They dressed flashy and also had the stylistic word play to match their appearance.

The same could be said for Mystikal and Lil Wayne from New Orleans. You can't name a single rapper that looks or acts like those individuals. To me that's super dope.


4.) How does your West Coast upbringing contribute to your creative vision?

I went to a lot of Living Legends, Jurassic 5 and Hiero shows growing up. I even saw acts like Atmosphere and Eyedea from Rhymesayers. So that underground hip-hop culture will also be with me.

I can remember in college at Colorado State when my homies first played that "Deltron 3030" record. Shit blew my mind. I didn't know you could rap about wild ideas set place in the future. Moments like that probably turned me into the different kind of artist I am today.


5.) You have opened for Casual (Hieroglyphics), Tha Liks and Wu-Tang Clan (to name a few) - what did you take away from those experiences?

I took away the feeling I could actually hang on the same stage with some of the best 90s era hip hop legends. All those acts have toured more than I have, and have more professional experience than myself. However, I'm gaining confidence I have the ability to take my act beyond New Orleans.

Right now I'm working on building a team around me with a producer, videographer, manager, booking agent and more to get me to the promise land. This could just be the beginning of my story, so I'm grateful for Clusterfunk Collective for getting on board early!




FOLLOW @harnSOLO
LIKE www.facebook.com/harnsolomusic
VISIT www.harnsolo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment