Sunday, September 29, 2013

Clusterfunk Collective presents Take Five: Amerigo Gazaway [Interview]

 photo takefive001_amerigogazaway_500_zpse0d00f0b.png

In our newest series, we pose five questions to seminal artists, musicians, and other creatives to expose some of the lesser known elements of each. "Take Five" to tap into the talent beyond the surface.

For our first installment, we caught up with Amerigo Gazaway - the audio architect behind Bizarre Tribe: A Quest To The Pharcyde and the clever composer of Fela Soul - to touch on his tour, his inspiration and his plan for what's next.

1. How do you decide which artists to revisit, rework, and remix?

Musically I think I just go through different phases. It might be Afrobeat, or Disco, or brazilian music or whatever I'm feelin at the time. As far as vocals go, It really just depends on what acapellas I can get a hold of. Recently I've been working with The Goodwill Projects who has been helping me create "Do-it-yourself" acapellas using a unique method of phase inversion. It's truly amazing what you can do with technology these days.

2. Given your recent departure from Gummy Soul, do you have any plans to start another label?

Not at the moment. I do have plans for collaborating with other artists. I also have plans of starting something new, but not a record label in the traditional sense.

3. Although most do not know, your father is legendary jazz trumpeter Gary “El Buho” Gazaway. Do you have any plans to work with him?

Definitely. I've already started experimenting with remixing some of his work, but I would love to have him featured on one of my future projects. I am also helping out with the release of an album he recorded with Delta blues legend Cedell Davis. I may be doing some remixes for that project as well.

4. In your opinion, who is the most prolific artist of the last ten years?

Prolific? I guess I'm more of a "quality over quantity" kind of guy. For hip- hop I would say some of the emcees who also produce like Oddisee, or maybe Madlib. Or even Big Krit. Those dudes put in work. Making great music is just second nature to them.

5. You are touring during the last quarter of the year, but there are no Bay Area shows currently listed on the itinerary. Do you have your sights set on any West Coast stops?

I would love to come visit the West Coast. I may be doing a presentation at the University of Southern California this fall. If that comes into fruition then I am going to try to book some shows around that date. We'll see what happens.

The Gummy Soul Show: Freak The Funk! by Gummysoul on Mixcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment