Monday, March 12, 2012

DJ M-Rock: The Best of Notorious B.I.G. [Mixtape]

djmrock_thebestofbiggie_2012

I have nothing to say about him dying or being sad. It’s not like he was a positive person or had amazing messages. He knew how to make bangers and that matters a lot. With Biggie, I constantly notice the versatility – is he rnb or is he hardcore preemo hip-hop or pop or just on a real demo vibe? I can never decide because he keeps going somewhere different, after it sinks in that he murdered one style. The versatility is not just because of him – don’t forget the producers: The Hitmen, Easy Mo Bee, Puff, DJ Premier, in that order (not to compare Premier to anybody). I don’t know if Big was thinking of putting in D-Train’s lines for 'Sky’s the Limit' but I found it interesting how heavily he was involved in the production. For example, he would suggest sampling R. Kelly for the Premier-produced 'Unbelievable' or tell D-Dot (one of Kanye West‘s mentors) that he was planning on using 'Ladi Dadi' for the hook in 'Hypnotize'. Who’s doing that? Who’s 17 years old and freestyling with perfection on street corners in the daylight and getting a crowd? Nobody. I love artists who master their craft. How can you not? Thanks to my peoples for reminding me about tracks like 'Think Big' that I never even knew. Take an hour and a half and let the funk sit in. Enjoy.


DOWNLOAD The Best of Notorious B.I.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment